Thursday, March 15, 2018

Ain't nobody got time for that.



I don't know about you but if my plans for the day are going to change, it's at 3 pm...an hour before I get off work.  And the one thing Err'body is worried about is supper.  Either A.) I had planned to have take out and now I'm at home trying to make something for supper out of nothing. or B.) I've got half the time I thought I was going to have to prepare a meal.  No meat is thawed, nothing in the Crock-Pot, a grocery run is badly needed and it is an episode of Chopped in the kitchen.

We have our Go-To's depending on the season...Chili, Sloppy Joe, Tacos (all day, every day), Breakfast for Dinner, Pork Burgers on the Grill, Potato Soup, Frozen Pizza...Pizza Rolls...every family has their favorite quick fix.  But the other day when scenario A. presented itself, I decided to do some research.  I asked on four different Facebook sites that I frequent, two different Mom pages, an Agriculture Women's page and a Cooking page.   "What is your favorite FAST homemade meal?"  For the most part, the options above or variations of them were given but I also gathered some really great ideas!! 

One of the Suggestions was for a Broccoli Casserole.  I tried it the other night and it was great!  It was hearty and filling and required one dish since I used my Dutch Oven to fry the meat and bake in.  I made a few alterations of my own and would edit it a bit more next time.  For example, I used an entire packet of Dry Ranch Mix...it was a bit much.  If you buy Ranch Mix in bulk I would use about 2-3 Tbsp, otherwise half of the packet would be perfect!  I also used half a bag of Broccoli Florets but I don't think there could be too much!  I would add a full bag next time!  Also, I did not add salt or pepper or any other seasoning considering the sausage is seasoned and the soup and ranch mix contains plenty of salt and seasonings.  I will include those edits in this recipe.

Ranch Broccoli Bake

1 lb Ground Breakfast Sausage
1 lb Ground Beef
1 Bag of Frozen Broccoli Florets (approx 14oz)
1 8 oz Package of Cream Cheese
1 10.5 oz can of Cream of Mushroom
1/2  Packet of Dry Ranch Mix
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
3 Tbsp Melted Butter
1 sleeve Ritz Crackers (approximately 25-30 crackers)

Preheat Oven to 375 Degrees.  Brown Sausage and Ground Beef in pan and drain.  Mix in Cream Cheese, Cream of Mushroom Soup, and 1/2 of the packet of Dry Ranch Mix, stir until thoroughly combined.  Stir in the bag of frozen Broccoli and the Cheddar Cheese, patting down the top of the mixture.  In a separate bowl melt the butter, folding until crumbs are completely buttered.  Sprinkle cracker crumbs over the top.  Bake for 45 minutes uncovered until top is browned and broccoli is done.

*If you were to pre-cook and drain the broccoli before adding to the mixture it would reduce the cooking time by half!!





No comments:

Post a Comment