Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Because...Chocolate Chip Cookies



I think if there was one thing that I could ask my family to pick for me to make it would be Chocolate Chip Cookies.  There was a time in my life that I could not make cookies to save my life.  Seriously.  I would follow the recipe to a T, after all Baking is a science.  I thought surely if I skipped an ingredient then it just wouldn't work.  


At the time Emma was probably 9 or so and she blew my mind one day when she said "Grandma never puts salt in her cookies.  Because you are already using Salted Butter..."  Mind. Blown.   No idea why that didn't register to me before but I ALWAYS omit Salt from my cookies when following a recipe...and they turn out perfect every time!  

Also, I keep my flour in the freezer.  You know how they always say that you should chill cookie dough before baking, Done.  Instantly chilled.  

Next key tip, ALWAYS use Milk Chocolate Chips.  Toll House will do.  Generic Brand will do.  Ghirardelli will rock your socks.  Worst case scenario, no one is going to complain if all you have is semi-sweet.  

Do not overcook your cookies.  They will continue to bake while resting on the hot cookie sheet.  You want them to be lightly browned but not solid all the way through.  If you do happen to get busy and forget about them and they get past the "perfect" stage....not that this has ever happened to me... Just pull the entire parchment paper off of the cookie sheet and set on a cool surface to stop the cooking process while still allowing them to rest.  

Last but not least, if at all possible cool your cookies on newspaper or parchment paper.  These cookies have 1 1/3 Cup of "fat" in them. While they are cooling the paper will soak up some of the greasiness that can collect on the cookies.  Now please go forget I said anything about the Fat.  




This recipe is adapted from one that I pulled from a local cookbook, "Sheryl's" Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is the best.   I have listed it below to reflect the changes that I make to it.  I would bet that I have made a 100 dozen of these so far...and they are perfect.  I don't even have to look at the recipe anymore...that's how you know it's a good one!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 Cup Shortening
2/3 Cup  Salted Butter
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
3 Cup Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
Milk Chocolate Chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix Shortening, Butter, Sugars, Eggs and Vanilla until mixture is creamed.  Mix in remaining ingredients.  Drop rounded Tbsp of dough on to an un-greased baking sheet ( I use parchment paper)  Bake for 10 min.  Let cool slightly on cookie sheet before removing.  Makes approximately 3 dozen.  (Depending on how much cookie dough you eat...)
***EDIT*** I purposely left out the measurement on the chocolate chips because to be honest I'm not a  fan of chocolate.  I like more dough than chip.  The original recipe called for 2 BAGS of chips and that is way too much on my opinion.   I like to put in a little more than a cup...unless Myles is standing over my shoulder.  Then I put about an 11.5oz  bag in.  



No comments:

Post a Comment